Tbh, the url has always seemed really apropos to me.
aww, thanks. ♥ I’m super wary of being assumed to be ~talking about myself~ with my url, especially since a) that’s really not what it’s about at all and b) I’m pretty critical of my own work and don’t think it really deserves the moniker. and yet, at the same time, it does give me the warm fuzzies when people say that it’s a good fit.
PUPPYYYY :D I can’t wait to see pictures aslkghsdlgh oh my gooosh update us when aNYTHING HAPPENS CONGRATULATIONS <3
I WILL DEFINITELY UPDATE WITH PICTURES when the puppy comes home to us. :D :D I CAN’T WAIT.
ooooooh, this is a good one, anon.
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which is one of my favorite books of all time. I simply can’t say enough good things about it.
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke, which is veeeeeery long but very good; a nice long plotty alternate-history fantasy with some gorgeous prose.
- The Giver by Lois Lowry, which you should absolutely read now if you somehow missed it as a kid. Even though it’s technically “juvenile fiction”, it’s still one of my very favorite books.
have a random assortment of DW (which I suspect is the fandom implied here)! with an effort to include fics that I don’t see recced very often:
- Alison Weir (who writes fantastic nonfiction about British history, if you, like me, are into that sort of thing. She also writes excellent, well-researched historical fiction).
- Rainbow Rowell (who has a style that I enjoyed reading in Fangirl, her most recent book, though I can’t speak for her other works).
- Neil Gaiman (if you haven’t read anything of his yet, do so at your earliest convenience. I suggest American Gods or Good Omens).
we decided to buy rather than adopt because there was a particular small breed we wanted to get - a Scottie. mr. prose has always had large dogs (German Shepherds, mostly), and we both love big dogs, but we live in a small apartment without a lot of outside space, and a large dog wouldn’t really be happy here. There’s a very reputable breeder (a family operation with excellent references, not a puppy mill, thank god) in our area, so we’re taking the opportunity to get the kind of dog we were looking for. No name/stuff bought yet! We should have the puppy before the end of the year, though, as long as the litter comes when they’re hoping. YAY, PUPPY. :D
I’d love to adopt a dog in the future - maybe in a few years, when we can afford a place with a little more room.
- why lyricalprose?
Contrary to what seems to be the prevailing belief, my url actually has nothing to do with fic, or writing, at all. At least, not my writing.
Back when I was in high school, I started using Lyrical Prose as a gamertag on xbox because I wanted a name without numbers, Xs, Os, the word “n00b”, or some other ludicrously cliché phrase in it. I’d read the phrase “lyrical prose” in a review of some book earlier that week, and I thought it sounded pretty. Amazingly, it wasn’t taken, so I snapped it up (and I still use it as my xbox tag to this day). I’ve used a few other handles online since then, but they weren’t available when I first set up this tumblr (years ago, where it sat, unused, until the slow demise of LJ). So I picked a different handle – one that I’d always liked and that I’d been using for a long time. I feel sort if weird having it now, since this tumblr is one of the main places that I post my writing – it seems a bit self-aggrandizing, or braggy, and I really don’t want to be either of those things. But in the end, I like the handle too much to change it. ;)
- fave doctor who story?
Show or fic? Show - probably The Doctor Dances or The Waters of Mars, though it’s really a toss-up between four or five different stories. Fic - it’s suuuuuper difficult to pick, again, but I still maintain that Kalendae is one of the most beautiful fics I’ve ever read.
- maltesers or reese’s peanut butter cups?
MALTESERS, definitely. I love Maltesers, and they’re sooooooo much better than Whoppers (the US equivalent). I wish they were more widely sold here (I have to go to a specialty shop to get them).
oooh, just now I’d probably have to say London (the UK in general, really, but London especially. When I lived in the UK, London was a bit of a trip, and between a) my time being eaten up by school and b) me having nooooo money, I really didn’t get to do much there. Visited Parliament and Westminster Abbey, saw a play in the West End, then took the bus back home. I NEED TO GO BACK.
Ok, this anon isn’t me, but I thought I’d jump in—Are we talking Clue like the brilliant has multiple endings and Tim Curry as the butler Clue?? Because I definitely had a phase where that was my Friday night jam like every weekend! :P
A B S O L U T E L Y
- ah, tbh my dream play with my dream cast has already been produced (Much Ado, which is my absolute favorite thing Shakespeare ever wrote, with David and Catherine, who are the most perfect Benedick and Beatrice to ever grace the stage). As problematic as the play is, I have to admit that the two of them as Petruchio and Katherina in Taming of the Shrew would be riotously entertaining, and I would pay obscenely large amounts of money to see that production. I also think David would make a brilliant Puck (or Oberon, now that I think about it), though I’m not sure who else I’d cast in that production of Midsummer Night’s Dream.
- You simply have not lived unless you’ve seen Clue.
- With salt and ketchup, usually. Occasionally with ranch dressing.
- favorite DW episodes from each season:
The Doctor Dances, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit, The Shakespeare Code, Turn Left, The Waters of Mars (specials count as a season, right?), Vincent and the Doctor, The Doctor’s Wife, The Rings of Akhaten.
- favorite Doctor/Rose moment?
DON’T EVEN TOUCH ME JUST LOOK AT THEIR FACES asfkghsljfd;
- favorite holiday?
here we go!
- I picked my theme because a) I was looking for something which made my fic fairly easy to read, and with a little bit of tweaking this one did wonderfully, b) because aforementioned tweaking was easy to do, and c) because there are very few things in the world I love more than Much Ado!DT. especially Much Ado!DT in uniform.
- I looooooooove dogs. sadly, I have never actually had one. But hopefully that will change soon! mr. prose and I have a deposit down on a Scottie puppy (who has not been born yet). It should be less than a year until we get to bring her home! :D
- how I like my tea depends entirely on my mood! sometimes I drink it black, sometimes just with a little bit of milk. when I’m feeling particularly wild, I drink it with milk and a little bit of sugar - not a lot, just a little.